Unrelated to all-things-work this may be, but I simply have to share my latest obsession with the world.
That obsession is… INCEPTION
…and it seems I’m not alone.
For the uninitiated (and I assume that’s no-one, unless you’ve been living under a rock somewhere for the last couple of months), Inception is the latest cinematic offering from Batman revisionist Christopher Nolan (also responsible for Memento and The Prestige)
The film took $60.4m in its opening weekend – proving it’s anything but a sleeper – and continues to sell-out shows 2 weeks later.
It’s also been consistently trending worldwide on Twitter since it opened (currently at position #4), with almost exclusively positive comments, a self-perpetuating hype machine – check out the thread here.
I could wax lyrical for literally hours about what I love about this movie, but instead I thought I’d distill it down into bitesize chunks. Without being too spoilerish, here’s my Top 10 of Things to Love about Inception:
1. The trailer, which gave away tantalisingly little about the film’s plot.
2. The thunderous, fog-horn score, all based around Edith Piaf’s Je Ne Regrette de Rien (which plays a key role in the film – learn more about it here).
3. The jaw-dropping visual effects (a lot of which were done in-camera) and stunning cinematography.
4. The production design – beautiful sets, uber-cool wardrobe.
5. Leonardo DiCaprio – nuff said.
6. The ‘Kick’!
7. Joseph Gorden-Levitt as supercool logistics man, Arthur (he’s grown up a lot since the Third Rock from the Sun days!).
8. Tom Hardy’s brilliant turn as Eames: “You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.”
9. The brilliantly inter-woven final climax of the movie, with the action seamlessly switching between several layers of narrative.
10. The ending – perfectly pitched to leave you thinking (and tweeting!) about the movie for days to come.
And in case you need any more convincing to take a trip to you local cinema this weekend, check out the trailer: